My published research covers a range of topics in philosophy of mind and action, philosophy of psychology, metaphysics and aesthetics. The numbered list below has links to most of my papers, many of which are available Open Access. You can also find my papers on my academia.edu and researchGATE pages. Several of these topics are discussed in online talks available on the Media page.
If you’re interested in my work on philosophy of film you want papers #9, #20 and #30. My papers on other topics tend to overlap a bit so I’ve summarised them in this handy Venn diagram!
ARTICLES IN PHILOSOPHY JOURNALS
- Gendered Affordance Perception and Unequal Domestic Labour (co-authored with Paulina Sliwa), Philosophy and Phenomenological Research (Online First). Open Access
- The Mental Affordance Hypothesis, Mind, 129(514): 401–427, 2020. DOI 10.1093/mind/fzz036
- Ensemble Representation and the Contents of Visual Experience (co-authored with Tim Bayne), Philosophical Studies, 176:733–753, 2019. doi:10.1007/s11098-018-1037-3. Open Access
- Against Virtual Selves, Erkenntnis, 84:21-40, 2019. doi:10.1007/s10670-017-9945-8. Open Access
- The Problem of Consciousness: Easy, Hard or Tricky? Topoi: Special Issue on the Hard Problem of Consciousness, 36(1), 17-30, 2017. doi:10.1007/s11245-014-9257-4.
- Gappiness and the Case for Liberalism About Phenomenal Properties, Philosophical Quarterly, 66 (264): 536-558, 2016. doi:10.1093/pq/pqv128. Open Access
- Can Self-Representationalism Explain Away the Apparent Irreducibility of Consciousness?, Synthese, 193(6), 1755-1776, 2016. doi:10.1007/s11229-015-0806-1. Open Access
- Affording Introspection: An Alternative Model of Inner Awareness, Philosophical Studies, Vol.172, No. 9, 2469-2492, 2015. doi:10.1007/s11098-014-0421-x. Open Access
- In Defence of Kantian Humility, Thought, Vol.1, 62-70, 2012. 10.1002/tht.9. Open Access
- The Philosophy of Film and Film as Philosophy, Cinema: Journal of Philosophy and the Moving Image, Vol. 2, 2011.
ARTICLES IN INTERDISCIPLINARY JOURNALS
- Affording Imagination, (co-authored with Monika Dunin-Kozicka) Philosophical Psychology: Special Issue on Expanding the Concept of Affordances (forthcoming)
- Perceptual Motivation, (co-authored with Marta Jorba) Review of Philosophy & Psychology, 2022
- Seeing the Forest for the Trees, Philosophy and the Mind Sciences, 2:1-27, 2021 10.33735/phimisci.2021.19
- Ignorance as a Solution to the Meta-Problem of Consciousness, Journal of Consciousness Studies (Special issue on Chalmers’s ‘The Meta-Problem of Consciousness’), 27 (5-6):108-119, 2020
- Representing Our Options: The Perception of Affordances for Bodily and Mental Action, Journal of Consciousness Studies, 26(3-4): 155-180, 2019.
- Concepts, Contents and Consciousness (co-authored with Tim Bayne) Neuroscience of Consciousness, (Vol. 1) 2016. doi:10.1093/nc/niv012. Open Access
- Finding the Feel: The Matching Content Challenge to Cognitive Phenomenology, (co-authored with Tim Bayne) Phenomenology and Mind, 10, 26-43, 2016. doi:10.13128/Phe_Mi-20090. Open Access
- The Neo-Russellian Ignorance Hypothesis: A Hybrid Account of Phenomenal Consciousness”, Journal of Consciousness Studies, Vol.20, No. 3-4, 125-51, 2013.
- Four Impediments to the Case for Mineness, forthcoming in M. Guillot & M. García-Carpintero (eds.) Consciousness and the Sense of Mineness, Cambridge University Press.
- Suffering and Affordances for Mental Action, in D. Bain, M. Brady and J. Corns (eds.) The Philosophy of Suffering, Routledge Press, 2020, pp.37-54
- Self-Representationalism, in U. Kriegel (ed.) The Oxford Handbook of the Philosophy of Consciousness, Oxford University Press.
- Film as Philosophical Thought Experiment: Some Challenges and Solutions, in C. Rawls, D. Neiva & S. Gouveia (eds.) Philosophy and Film: Bridging Divides, Routledge Press, 2019, 92-115.
- The Knowledge Argument is Either Indefensible or Redundant, in S. Coleman (ed.) The Knowledge Argument, Cambridge University Press, 2019, pp. 180-197.
MONOGRAPHS AND EDITED COLLECTIONS
- What is Philosophy of Mind? Polity Press, 2021.
- Consciousness and Inner Awareness(co-edited with Jonathan Farrell) Special issue of Review of Philosophy and Psychology, 8(1), 2017.
- Intruders in the Mind: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Thought Insertion(co-edited with Pablo López Silva), edited collection forthcoming with OUP.
CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS
- Misembodied Experiences of Artificial Art, Proceedings of the ICCC’22 Workshop: The Role of Embodiment in the Perception of Human & Artificial Creativity (forthcoming)
- AI and Affordances for Mental Action, Proceedings of the 10th AISB Symposium on Computing and Philosophy, 372-379, 2017. Open Access
- Editorial: Consciousness and Inner Awareness, (co-authored with Jonathan Farrell) Review of Philosophy and Psychology, 8(1), 1-22, 2017. (Special Issue on Consciousness and Inner Awareness). Open Access
- Ensemble Coding and Two Conceptions of Perceptual Sparsity”, (co-authored with Tim Bayne), letter published in Trends in Cognitive Science, Vol.20, No. 9, 641-642, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.tics.2016.06.008.
- Receptivity and Phenomenal Self-Knowledge, Thought, Special Issue: Proceedings of the Northern Institute of Philosophy Early Career Conference, Vol.2, No. 4, 293-302, 2013. doi:10.1002/tht3.96. Open Access
- Consciousness, Ignorance and the Explanatory Gap, Philosophical Writings, Special Issue: Proceedings of the Fourteenth BPPA Conference, 45-57, 2011.
- What is it like to be John Malkovich? The Postgraduate Journal of Aesthetics, Vol. 7, No. 2, 2010. Open Access
- Review of Varela, Thompson, Rosch, The Embodied Mind(Revised Edition), Phenomenological Reviews. Open Access
- Review of U. Kriegel The Varieties of Consciousness, Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. 66, Issue 265, 871–874, 2016.
- “Review of R. Howell Consciousness and the Limits of Objectivity” Journal of Consciousness Studies, Vol. 21, No. 5-6, 236-241, 2014.
- Review of D. Pereboom Consciousness and the Prospects of Physicalism, Journal of Consciousness Studies, Vol. 20, No.9-10, 193-200, 2013.
- Review of M. Rowlands Can Animals be Moral, Metapsychology Online Reviews 17, Issue 29, 2013. Open Access